Training for...
Six months shy of turning 30 I made the decision to prepare to run a marathon. I was getting older, but I was determined to be in the best shape of my life. I researched various training programs and schedules until I found one I felt was compatible with my goals. I searched the internet for running trails and settled for running along the Trinity River in Fort Worth for my long runs and laps around the Seminary for my short runs. I scoured the internet looking for reviews on running shoes. I looked up shorter races in my area that I would be able to use to gauge my progress. Slowly but surely, I began to train my body to run a marathon. Several months in I was running 17 or 18 miles on my long runs and my body was both reaping the benefits and paying the price. I was 6 foot even and under 165 pounds but my knees were begging me to stop the madness.
Earlier this year I read 1 Timothy 4:7-8: Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
I must shamefully admit that I put a lot more thought, planning, and time into training my body to run a marathon than I ever had in training myself for godliness. So back in September I began to make plans of how I would train myself for godliness in 2013. Honestly, with so many glaring weaknesses it was hard to choose what my focus would be for next year.
For several years in a row now I have read the Bible through. This year I must admit to a bit of a dissatisfaction with my daily quiet times. I was reading the Bible, but I really didn’t feel like it was having the impact that it should. I don’t know how to describe it other than saying that seemed to be a “disconnect”. As I began to pray, I felt God guiding me to focus on prayer in 2013. With my focus in place, I began to research and make plans.
I sent a friend and former Seminary professor an email asking for suggestions on books to read on prayer. I asked for suggestions from friends on Facebook and looked for quite a while on Amazon for books on prayer. In the end (or should I say beginning) this is what my training plan for 2013 looks like:
- The One Year Praying Through the Bible by Cheri Fuller- This will be my daily devotional guide and a catalyst for prayer.
- Then reading the following books during the coming year:
- Complete Works of E.M.. Bounds on Prayer
- Pray Big for Your Marriage
- Prayer- Finding the Heart’s True Home
- Letters to Malcom- Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
- With Christ in the School of Prayer- By Andrew Murray
Over the past few years I have become quite an avid reader, but I desperately want 2013 to be more than just gaining a better understanding of prayer. I want 2013 to be a time of deepening in my prayer life. I want to not just say, “I will pray for you...” but to really, truly do it on more than just a “bless so and so” level.
With that being said, feel free to send me an email or FB Messsage letting me how can I pray for you!
-dp
Comments