18 and counting!
18...that is a good amount of anything...18 kids, 18 cupcakes, 18 percent increase, $18 would get us to the movies :)...
Today marks 18 years since I really surrendered to God...this is why I am so grateful. All that I have is because of Him. Anything good in me is because of Him. My life has never been the same since this day 18 years ago...
My story, like so many others, is a story of one who was transferred from a life of darkness and confusion to a life of light and hope.
I grew up knowing about the Lord. I remember going to Sunday School and Vacation Bible Schools. As an adolescent, I participated regularly in a great youth group at church. All throughout my growing up years, I can look back and see ways that God wove His truth into my life through people and experiences. I knew about God and Jesus. I knew stories. I sang songs. I even prayed "the prayer", but I didn't know them personally.
It was all action and no heart...
In high school and early college, I struggled to cope with conflict and stress by trying to do things on my terms. I tried to gain control of my life by being in control of my food. But it was not long until I was seriously entrenched in an eating disorder. Those were my darkest days. I have never felt so lonely, confused, and hopeless.
Some Christian friends confronted me about the unhealthy behaviors they saw. They convinced me to get help and told me that Christ could help me. My eyes were opened to how desperately I needed help...that I could not fix my life on my own.
I agreed to go to inpatient treatment. It was in the backseat of one of their cars that I prayed to surrender and receive Christ as my Savior on February 7, 1993. Life with Christ was not easy. I immediately found myself in a very needy place.
But, He was enough to meet my needs. He always has been. He worked through the treatment center and counseling afterwards to bring me to a place of healing and recovery. When I got out of treatment some of my relatives stepped in to help me and really teach me more about what the Bible teaches about God. I started attending church regularly. God provided a spiritual mentor for me in the last years of my college. She taught me so much about living obediently to God’s Word, the Bible. She taught me how to go to the Bible to seek answers for my problems. She taught me to pray fervently. She still teaches and counsels me and I am so grateful. I have grown through participating in many Bible studies and, as I have matured, in leading them. God has always been so faithful to reveal more of Himself as I seek Him.
As I have progressed in my spiritual journey, God has been so faithful to draw near to me and reveal more of Himself. We really do have such a sweet relationship now and I cannot imagine my life without Him. I am excited to continue following His leading...step by step. He has taught me so much! He has been a comfort and a true friend. Life with Him has been an adventure!
I don't know where you are in your spiritual journey.
Perhaps you have walked with the Lord for many more years than I...
but if you haven't yet come to a point in your life where you decided to trust Him...I encourage you to give it careful consideration. The Bible is clear that God loves ALL people...He loves you passionately and longs to be in relationship with you.
Here are some of my favorite verses regarding trusting Jesus as Savior:
"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) We can never be good enough to deserve a relationship with Him.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."(Romans 6:3) Jesus died on the cross to pay for my sins...and yours...to bridge the gap between our sinfulness and God's holiness.
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) He doesn't expect us to earn His favor. He provided a way for us...it is a gift that is ours if we choose to receive it.
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with our mouth that you confess and are saved." (Romans 10:9-10) A precious promise of salvation! not just eternally saved from hell...but also a more peaceful and joyful existence now.
I know this a very looooooong post. Thank you for bearing with me and listening to my heart. I always take time to remember what God has done for me on February 7th. But this year, I really wanted to share in case someone who stops by might want to know more about the abundant and fulfilling life they can have with Christ. Please feel free to email me by clicking HERE if you want to know more or if you have questions.
Those who already have a relationship with Jesus, I hope this has been an encouragement to you and a reminder of the wondrous way God has worked in your life as well...
simply. grateful.
Today marks 18 years since I really surrendered to God...this is why I am so grateful. All that I have is because of Him. Anything good in me is because of Him. My life has never been the same since this day 18 years ago...
My story, like so many others, is a story of one who was transferred from a life of darkness and confusion to a life of light and hope.
I grew up knowing about the Lord. I remember going to Sunday School and Vacation Bible Schools. As an adolescent, I participated regularly in a great youth group at church. All throughout my growing up years, I can look back and see ways that God wove His truth into my life through people and experiences. I knew about God and Jesus. I knew stories. I sang songs. I even prayed "the prayer", but I didn't know them personally.
It was all action and no heart...
In high school and early college, I struggled to cope with conflict and stress by trying to do things on my terms. I tried to gain control of my life by being in control of my food. But it was not long until I was seriously entrenched in an eating disorder. Those were my darkest days. I have never felt so lonely, confused, and hopeless.
Some Christian friends confronted me about the unhealthy behaviors they saw. They convinced me to get help and told me that Christ could help me. My eyes were opened to how desperately I needed help...that I could not fix my life on my own.
I agreed to go to inpatient treatment. It was in the backseat of one of their cars that I prayed to surrender and receive Christ as my Savior on February 7, 1993. Life with Christ was not easy. I immediately found myself in a very needy place.
But, He was enough to meet my needs. He always has been. He worked through the treatment center and counseling afterwards to bring me to a place of healing and recovery. When I got out of treatment some of my relatives stepped in to help me and really teach me more about what the Bible teaches about God. I started attending church regularly. God provided a spiritual mentor for me in the last years of my college. She taught me so much about living obediently to God’s Word, the Bible. She taught me how to go to the Bible to seek answers for my problems. She taught me to pray fervently. She still teaches and counsels me and I am so grateful. I have grown through participating in many Bible studies and, as I have matured, in leading them. God has always been so faithful to reveal more of Himself as I seek Him.
As I have progressed in my spiritual journey, God has been so faithful to draw near to me and reveal more of Himself. We really do have such a sweet relationship now and I cannot imagine my life without Him. I am excited to continue following His leading...step by step. He has taught me so much! He has been a comfort and a true friend. Life with Him has been an adventure!
I don't know where you are in your spiritual journey.
Perhaps you have walked with the Lord for many more years than I...
but if you haven't yet come to a point in your life where you decided to trust Him...I encourage you to give it careful consideration. The Bible is clear that God loves ALL people...He loves you passionately and longs to be in relationship with you.
Here are some of my favorite verses regarding trusting Jesus as Savior:
"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) We can never be good enough to deserve a relationship with Him.
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."(Romans 6:3) Jesus died on the cross to pay for my sins...and yours...to bridge the gap between our sinfulness and God's holiness.
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8) He doesn't expect us to earn His favor. He provided a way for us...it is a gift that is ours if we choose to receive it.
"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with our mouth that you confess and are saved." (Romans 10:9-10) A precious promise of salvation! not just eternally saved from hell...but also a more peaceful and joyful existence now.
I know this a very looooooong post. Thank you for bearing with me and listening to my heart. I always take time to remember what God has done for me on February 7th. But this year, I really wanted to share in case someone who stops by might want to know more about the abundant and fulfilling life they can have with Christ. Please feel free to email me by clicking HERE if you want to know more or if you have questions.
Those who already have a relationship with Jesus, I hope this has been an encouragement to you and a reminder of the wondrous way God has worked in your life as well...
simply. grateful.
Comments