Father/Son moments, Daddy/Daughter Dates and a God who loves them both

Last weekend I had a choice to make. I could go outside and change the oil and serpentine belt on our Sequoia myself or I could have, what we call in our house, guy time. I knew that if I did it myself I could have it done in about half an hour. I knew “guy time” would make it twice that long. Not only was it a no-brainer, it turned out to be one of the best “moments” of my life. I got my mini-me (Elijah) and headed outside. I showed him how to drain the oil, put on a new filter, and add oil to the truck. We then changed the serpentine belt together as well. Elijah, being mechanically minded and daddy’s little dude, was on cloud nine when we finished.


Each week I take one of the kids down to the Senior adult luncheon. I promised Makayla this week was her turn. She picked out my shirt for our “daddy-daughter date.” (she offered to pick out my shoes and belt as well). The only problem, Senior-adult luncheons start back next week! Another choice to make… be the frugal (I prefer that to being called cheap) man I am and tell her she would have to wait a week, or deal with spending a few bucks and take her out to eat. Another no brainer. I had just been given a gift card to Panera so we headed up there for our lunch-date. Makayla was non-stop talk and smiles because she had her daddy’s personal attention. Daddy was non-stop smiles listening and watching his expressive little girl.

I am far from the perfect parent, but one thing I have already learned is that children spell love, T-I-M-E. As much as it meant to my kids to be able to have that one-on-one time with their dad, it also meant the world for me to have that one-on-one time with them. I love loving them. Did you know that God loves loving you?  Did you know He enjoys spending time with you? Zephaniah 3:17 says, “The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." That’s right, the creator and sustainer of the heavens and the earth, the one who created the stars and calls them out by name, rejoices over you with singing. He wants to spend time with you. Really? Really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life together- True Community for believers

Sharing my Secrets...

Reading List for 2017