Holy Ground

Maybe it was because it was relatively simple. Maybe it was because it gave me hope. Maybe it was just the tune… but for some reason I have always enjoyed the hymn, We are standing on Holy Ground. As I think back to my earlier days in the faith I recall singing this hymn and a sense of peace coming over me. A sense of hope. A sense of “rightness”. (is that even a word?) And I believe it was mainly for this one reason; for those few moments singing the song, I sensed the presence of God.

It’s interesting to think about. Was God any less there the five or ten minutes before we sang that song? Did God, sitting on his throne in heaven, hear our voices and decide to come down and join us? Was there something in the song that obligated Him to make an appearance? I don’t think so.


What that song did was bring me to the realization of the presence of God. Like a ringing alarm clock brings us back to reality from our slumber, this song woke me to His presence. It is not that He arrived, it was just that I realized He was there! He’s always “there”.

You are probably familiar with the story in the Bible that inspired the writing of that song. Moses, seeing a burning bush decided to investigate. He is told to take of his sandals because he was on “Holy Ground.” Was there anything special about that dirt? Surely not or he would have bottled it up and sold it! The makeup of the dirt was the same as all the other dirt around it. What made this spot “Holy Ground” is that Moses was communing and communicating with a Holy God.

As we live our lives we have the opportunity to live in the presence of a Holy God. Every piece of ground is potential Holy Ground! Your next step could be on Holy Ground! In fact, where your feet are right now, could be Holy Ground. The question is, will you recognize His presence?

For His Glory,
David



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life together- True Community for believers

Sharing my Secrets...

Reading List for 2017