Breaking the surface...
Her baby blue eyes turned up and met mine as she whispered, “It’s pretty much everybody daddy.” Scanning the congregation she quickly realized the overwhelming number of people standing with their gaze fixed upon her. Moments earlier I asked them to stand if they had at any point in her life contributed in some spiritual way that led to the climax of this moment.
She was drenched from the shoulders down and I, having given up on fishermen waders from bad experiences in the past, stood waist deep in the baptismal pool in shorts and a t-shirt. Looking out she was overwhelmed with the number of those who stood. Her mom and grandparents, church staff and white haired ladies (and men!) who had rocked her in the nursery as a newborn. Sunday school teachers. Prayer warriors. Sunday night small group leaders and members. Vacation Bible School teachers, recreation and craft leaders. I saw several who didn’t stand who could have. Those who volunteered to cook and clean at the church on Wednesday nights. The guy who cut our grass when we were on staff there freeing me to spend more time with my family. So many more… Each contributing their God-given-giftedness that brought us to this moment where I, as her father, had the privilege of baptizing her.
Karissa, our last-born, was also our last baptized. Her older brother and sister were baptized just over a year earlier in the same baptismal pool as they too made their public profession that they had decided to become a Christian. Perhaps that’s why it was so surreal and why nearly 12 hours later I’m still processing what a gift God has given to me by not only leading my three children to Christ, but also baptizing them. I hope this feeling never goes away and I hope countless others get to experience it as well.
I can think of nothing more precious in the life of a parent than having the opportunity to lead your kids to Christ. For us, it happened over a period of months. I didn’t jump at their first question about becoming a Christian, but rather used it as a springboard to multiple conversations that would take place over the coming months. We wanted them to fully understand the decision they were making (as much as anybody can understand the miracle of relationship with the Creator!) We wanted them to understand not only the blessings of becoming a Christian, but the costs associated with it as well. Eventually, when it was evident they understood the decision they were making, Heather and I knelt beside them as they confessed Christ as their Savior and Lord in prayer. This day, this baptism, was her public proclamation that she is a new creation in Christ.
With a small handkerchief I wiped her face as she broke the surface of the water with a smile that was as wide as the Grand Canyon. To say that she was beaming would be an understatement. I planted a kiss on the top of her head as we embraced for a moment before exiting those waters. Clothes dripping, we shared another hug as we made our way back to the changing rooms. I thought it appropriate that the first thing we did after we had dried off and changed was make our way back to the sanctuary and listen to a sermon on the power of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. What a gift.
Although I earlier referred to this as a climax moment in her life, in truth, it is more of a mile-marker. Since she became a Christian, just over a year ago, she has been eager to get baptized. Now that her baptism has moved from future tense to past tense we transition to a new road. As parents we now walk alongside our three children on the path of intentional discipleship. Unfortunately, this path is not nearly as well worn as the one that leads to the baptismal pool.
While the path of discipleship is not nearly as well worn, it again requires no less than each member of the Body of Christ contributing their God-given-giftedness to see this child move toward maturity in Christ. It requires mom and dad not being satisfied with their child attending a worship service on Sunday morning. It requires me, as daddy, and Heather ,as mommy, walking beside her as she learns daily what a precious gift she has been given in having a relationship with God. It takes us modeling a consistent walk with the Lord and helping her develop the spiritual disciplines in her life. We want that for her not just so she might have a greater knowledge of God but also a more intimate relationship with Him. As A.W. Tozer said, “To know Him is to love Him, and to know Him better is to love Him more.”
-dp


Comments