Reading Reviews...

Each November/December I make a personal spiritual plan for the coming year.  I decided to focus my attention for 2016 in the Psalms and read books that would help me connect more intimately with God. If I had to pick one to recommend, it would be “The Great Omission”.  I have listed them here from 1-11, in the order I would recommend them.  If you have already read any of these would love to hear your feedback in the comments below!  -dp

  1. The Great Omission- Get this and read it.  End of story. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Omission-Reclaiming-Essential-Discipleship/dp/0062311751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482004343&sr=8-1&keywords=the+great+omission



2. 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health- This is a great book to assess where you are Spiritually and it doesn't let you off the hook with things like church attendance but asks “are you” and “do you” questions.  I knew it was going to step on my toes when I read the title of the first chapter, “Do you thirst for God?”




3.  Shaped by the Word-  This was a good book, particularly Chapter 5, “Information Versus Formation” 




4.  Abide in Christ- This is a classic and although it is not easy reading, it is certainly worthy of reading.  Just be prepared going into it to take time to digest the reading without trying to push through it to complete it.  There were days I would stop mid-chapter because I just wanted to chew on what he said throughout the day.  Good book. Hard reading.  Still worthy.  




5. Strengthening the soul of your Leadership-  I have read a couple dozen books on leadership and this is in the top 5 of those.  This is an excellent read for anybody in leadership, but especially for those in leadership in the church. 



6. Embracing Soul Care- “You don’t have a soul, you are a soul.  You have a body” It is unknown with certainty who said that quote, but this book does a great job of turning our attention to caring for our soul.  It should be higher in my list of books for this year, but I can’t bump any of the others down that are above it.  



7.  The Lost Art of Disciple Making- When a book written nearly 40 years ago makes my list you know it is good.  Discipleship is more than a class once a week.  Life on life.  Good and challenging stuff here.




8.  Sabbath- “Why is breaking the Sabbath the only commandment that we are not only comfortable breaking, but often encouraged to break?”  This book helps the Christian to slow down and remember the Sabbath. 



9.  Life with God- There are books that you can’t put down.. and those that you find difficult to pick back up.  This book falls into the latter category.  The average person is not going to get through the first half of this book.  It was hard reading and had I not committed to reading it I probably wouldn’t have finished it.  It’s not bad, just slow reading.  


10. Seeing what is Sacred- Not that it was bad, it just never “clicked” with me.  You are not going to waste your time reading it, but there are certainly other books that I would read instead of this one.  




11.  Sacred Rhythms- It was ok, but a bit “ethereal” for me in many places.  It has good information but I really can’t recommend it, especially with 10 other books ahead of it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing my Secrets...

Life together- True Community for believers

Reading List for 2017