We are heading into our hot season now and we are finding ways to beat the heat. The kids love swinging on their swings while being sprayed with the hose!
I’m running a little behind in both my blog posts and my reading list for this year so I thought I would address one by using the other. I just finished the book Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer in which he gives practical advice on what life together looks like in families and groups of Christians. I would highly recommend reading the book if you are interested in some deep thinking of what true community for the believer should look like. Perhaps the following quotes will spurn you on to reading the book, or perhaps just might give you a little something to think about. The following quotes were from some of the highlights I made in the books as I read it. They were insightful and challenging to me and I hope that at least one of them will speak to you! Blessings on the journey! -dp Regarding the blessing of living in community he says: It is easily forgotten that the fellowship of Christian brethren is a fight of grace, ...
Can I be honest and let you in on a personal secret? Promise not to judge? OK, here it is, prayer lists are challenging for me. I know, how unspiritual is that? Line after line of the teen who is going to be taking his driving test next Tuesday, the parent who wants her precious, sensitive daughter to land the lead role in the school play or the hip surgery for Grandma Jane. (Grandma, Grammy, Grandmother or whatever you call her is probably ready to come and kick my shins for vocalizing it… and she probably will once she gets full use of her legs again.) There are also those prayer requests with a more “spiritual” side like praying for the missionaries who are living in pray-for-them-again-astan. Am I the only one that struggles with prayer lists? Can I be honest and let you in on a personal secret? Promise not to judge? (yes, I started two paragraphs in a row with the same two sentences) OK, here it is, I als...
I have decided to read 52 books in 2017. I'm still lacking 8 books to complete the year, but as I read I invariably find other books referenced that I add to my list. So, there is a little flexibility built in for that. Feel free to suggest other books in the comment section below. So, without further ado, here is my list for 2017: (√ beside book once completed) Extreme Ownership- Jocko Willink, Leif Babin √ Life together- Dietrich Bonhoeffer √ Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible- Dietrich Bonhoeffer √ Praying the Bible- Donald S. Whitney √ Culture of Honor- Danny Silk Loving our Kids on Purpose- Danny Silk Shantarum- Gregory David Roberts It Happened on the Way to War- Rye Barcott Those Who Save Us- Jenna Blum What's so Amazing about Grace- Yancy √ Operation Thunderbolt- Saul David Unbroken- Lauren Hillenbrand √ Under Our Skin- Benjamin Watson √ Long way Gone- Charles Martin √ Preaching That Connects- Mark Galli, Haddon W....
Comments