@ Follow the Leader
I can imagine how he felt…
Having just received news that he didn’t really understand..or like.
Disappointed…
Confused…
Lonely even though he was with a dear Friend…
Maybe even angry…
Longing for different news…
Sitting there…looking in His eyes…wondering why…
I have always been intrigued by the story of Jesus restoring his relationship with Peter. Peter had failed Jesus by denying him three times. Jesus was on the shore seeking to reinstate one of his closest followers. He asked Peter three times if he loved him(Jesus). Of course, Peter responded in the affirmative. Peter may have failed the Lord, but it is clear through reading the gospels that Peter truly loved Jesus. Jesus told Peter to feed his sheep.
Then, Jesus went on to basically tell Peter that things are not going to end well for him. Peter responded by looking around and seeing another disciple named John. After hearing the foreshadowing to his own life, he asked Jesus, “What about him?” And Jesus responded with, basically, “What is that to you? You follow me.” Peter’s restored relationship with Jesus did not result in what he thought it would. (to read the story, see John 21:15-23)
I have definitely been there.
Sometimes the news was big.
Sometimes it was small.
Sometimes the news was silence…resulting in a season of waiting.
I first started really pondering this story in September. We were in training for our new international position. The time was drawing to a close on the training and we were scheduled to depart for our new country September 30th. Other friends going to other parts of the world were receiving photos of their future homes and getting lots of details about their children’s future schools. We were not because we did not have our permits yet and so it was impossible to nail down those kind of details yet. As silly as it sounds, there was a little dissonance in my heart because I wanted to know what we are going to…and then this story hit me and Jesus’s words “You follow Me” echoed in my heart. I felt God really working in my heart to help me let go and just follow…to quit comparing my journey with someone else’s.
Umm yeah, that was the lesson in September. And now, we are in January and still waiting on our permits. There have been additional lessons and maybe I will share some more here. But this lesson of “you follow me” has continued to grow roots deep into my heart: not just concerning my own journey, but precious loved ones facing much greater challenges than me:
Friends waiting for over a year to hold their beloved adopted daughter in their arms...
An amazing victor over cancer facing another cancer scare…
Other friends walking through the pain of infertility…
Dear faithful followers of Jesus whose health is declining daily…
Our dear church family members who lost a much loved man(husband, father, grandfather, and our friend) to a tornado…
My heart is so heavy for them and we are definitely praying for them all! Their journeys are difficult for sure, but when those around witness them continuing to trust God and to proclaim His goodness, even in the midst of extreme heartache, it is as beautiful as a symphony!
I think it is human nature to compare: always wanting more blessing and less sorrow. But I also think for every follower of Jesus, the directions are the same. We need to fix our eyes on Jesus and follow Him.
Why? He is so trustworthy! Really? Even when we do not understand? Even when we feel stripped with pain? Yes.
It comes back to love. After all, that is where the relationship started with Jesus in the first place. We love because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) We follow because we love Him because He loves us and gave Himself up for us. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) Following Him is not drudgery, but a privilege. He is with us in our struggles. He sees. He hears. He gives grace, peace, hope, and the strength to take one more step.
So I am learning that when I start to look around at people and circumstances around me that I also need to “fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)
So, Dear Ones, let us fix our eyes and follow the One who is so worthy. If there is any way we can be lifting you up in prayer on your journey, email and let us know. We would be honored.
Having just received news that he didn’t really understand..or like.
Disappointed…
Confused…
Lonely even though he was with a dear Friend…
Maybe even angry…
Longing for different news…
Sitting there…looking in His eyes…wondering why…
I have always been intrigued by the story of Jesus restoring his relationship with Peter. Peter had failed Jesus by denying him three times. Jesus was on the shore seeking to reinstate one of his closest followers. He asked Peter three times if he loved him(Jesus). Of course, Peter responded in the affirmative. Peter may have failed the Lord, but it is clear through reading the gospels that Peter truly loved Jesus. Jesus told Peter to feed his sheep.
Then, Jesus went on to basically tell Peter that things are not going to end well for him. Peter responded by looking around and seeing another disciple named John. After hearing the foreshadowing to his own life, he asked Jesus, “What about him?” And Jesus responded with, basically, “What is that to you? You follow me.” Peter’s restored relationship with Jesus did not result in what he thought it would. (to read the story, see John 21:15-23)
I have definitely been there.
Sometimes the news was big.
Sometimes it was small.
Sometimes the news was silence…resulting in a season of waiting.
I first started really pondering this story in September. We were in training for our new international position. The time was drawing to a close on the training and we were scheduled to depart for our new country September 30th. Other friends going to other parts of the world were receiving photos of their future homes and getting lots of details about their children’s future schools. We were not because we did not have our permits yet and so it was impossible to nail down those kind of details yet. As silly as it sounds, there was a little dissonance in my heart because I wanted to know what we are going to…and then this story hit me and Jesus’s words “You follow Me” echoed in my heart. I felt God really working in my heart to help me let go and just follow…to quit comparing my journey with someone else’s.
Umm yeah, that was the lesson in September. And now, we are in January and still waiting on our permits. There have been additional lessons and maybe I will share some more here. But this lesson of “you follow me” has continued to grow roots deep into my heart: not just concerning my own journey, but precious loved ones facing much greater challenges than me:
Friends waiting for over a year to hold their beloved adopted daughter in their arms...
An amazing victor over cancer facing another cancer scare…
Other friends walking through the pain of infertility…
Dear faithful followers of Jesus whose health is declining daily…
Our dear church family members who lost a much loved man(husband, father, grandfather, and our friend) to a tornado…
My heart is so heavy for them and we are definitely praying for them all! Their journeys are difficult for sure, but when those around witness them continuing to trust God and to proclaim His goodness, even in the midst of extreme heartache, it is as beautiful as a symphony!
I think it is human nature to compare: always wanting more blessing and less sorrow. But I also think for every follower of Jesus, the directions are the same. We need to fix our eyes on Jesus and follow Him.
Why? He is so trustworthy! Really? Even when we do not understand? Even when we feel stripped with pain? Yes.
It comes back to love. After all, that is where the relationship started with Jesus in the first place. We love because He first loved us. (1 John 4:19) We follow because we love Him because He loves us and gave Himself up for us. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12) Following Him is not drudgery, but a privilege. He is with us in our struggles. He sees. He hears. He gives grace, peace, hope, and the strength to take one more step.
So I am learning that when I start to look around at people and circumstances around me that I also need to “fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)
So, Dear Ones, let us fix our eyes and follow the One who is so worthy. If there is any way we can be lifting you up in prayer on your journey, email and let us know. We would be honored.
Comments