David's Article on Holiness

My sweet husband is phenomenal. Truly. He is so gifted and so giving that I am humbled that he chose me...He is an amazing, romantic husband, a tremendous father...and a hottie. He is also my favorite writer...really. I cannot read something that he has written and step away unchanged...or unchallenged. I wanted to share one of his recent articles because I enjoyed it so much...
Holiness by David
Last week I had an opportunity to do something I have not been able to in quite some time. I took a day just to spend with the Lord. I left Rock Hill and spent the day away from e-mails, phones, text messages and the internet. I read the Bible, prayed, read some more and prayed some more. It was refreshing to say the least. While there was much that God spoke to me about that day, there was one thing that really became the theme for the day, the holiness of God. It spoke to me on two fronts.
The first was just the unadulterated holiness of God. I found myself reading from Isaiah’s vision in Chapter 6. The Seraphim were calling to one another, “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” When they speak the word Holy three times they are emphasizing the holiness of God. It is important to note that no other attribute of God is ever mentioned three times like this. It made me question, do I regard God as holy or as holy, holy, holy? The definition of holy is to be exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness. Do I treat God with this regard? Do I worship Him with the respect he is due? Does my life reflect that I have been touched by a holy, holy, holy God. This leads me to my next thought.
When we encounter a holy, holy, holy God, something happens. Listen to Isaiah’s response; “Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty” An encounter with the holiness of God reveals our sin and should subsequently bring about our surrender and repentance. I believe the primary way we hear from God is through the reading of His Word, the Bible.
If you are not already reading the Bible on a daily basis, start today! Your readings should be revealing sin and causing you to surrender and repent. As you read tomorrow, let me encourage you to pray before you start. Say something like this, “Most Holy, Holy, Holy God, I beg You to reveal Yourself to me during this time. Let your Word convict me, may it speak truth into my life and may you give me the strength to walk in obedience to it.”
A.W. Tozer said, “The true follower of Christ will not ask, “If I embrace this truth, what will it cost me?” Rather he will say, “This is truth. God help me to walk in it, let come what may!”
Last week I had an opportunity to do something I have not been able to in quite some time. I took a day just to spend with the Lord. I left Rock Hill and spent the day away from e-mails, phones, text messages and the internet. I read the Bible, prayed, read some more and prayed some more. It was refreshing to say the least. While there was much that God spoke to me about that day, there was one thing that really became the theme for the day, the holiness of God. It spoke to me on two fronts.
The first was just the unadulterated holiness of God. I found myself reading from Isaiah’s vision in Chapter 6. The Seraphim were calling to one another, “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” When they speak the word Holy three times they are emphasizing the holiness of God. It is important to note that no other attribute of God is ever mentioned three times like this. It made me question, do I regard God as holy or as holy, holy, holy? The definition of holy is to be exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness. Do I treat God with this regard? Do I worship Him with the respect he is due? Does my life reflect that I have been touched by a holy, holy, holy God. This leads me to my next thought.
When we encounter a holy, holy, holy God, something happens. Listen to Isaiah’s response; “Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty” An encounter with the holiness of God reveals our sin and should subsequently bring about our surrender and repentance. I believe the primary way we hear from God is through the reading of His Word, the Bible.
If you are not already reading the Bible on a daily basis, start today! Your readings should be revealing sin and causing you to surrender and repent. As you read tomorrow, let me encourage you to pray before you start. Say something like this, “Most Holy, Holy, Holy God, I beg You to reveal Yourself to me during this time. Let your Word convict me, may it speak truth into my life and may you give me the strength to walk in obedience to it.”
A.W. Tozer said, “The true follower of Christ will not ask, “If I embrace this truth, what will it cost me?” Rather he will say, “This is truth. God help me to walk in it, let come what may!”
Comments